Gig report: Sonic Youth play Daydream nation, London Roundhouse, Auguest 2007

  • 0


Slightly delayed in mentioning this as I don't have my own computer over in England at the moment, but I was able to catch the middle night of the three at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm, London.
Whilst Daydream Nation is one of my fave SY albums and probably the one that got me into the band, I had no preference of whether they recreated it live in track order nearly twenty years later, or whether they did a more conventional gig with a mix of material.
Daydream Nation was indeed played in order, with no comments or interaction between the songs, and the bits that are usually awesome ('Teenage Riot', 'Silver Rocket', Eric's Trip', 'Candle') were awesome, the bits that just chug along on record ('Total Trash') did more than just chug along, and I've never heard the Trilogy part played live before, so that was a real highlight.
They returned to rapturous applause and ran through a lot of songs from last year's fine 'Rather Ripped' album ('Turquoise Boy', 'Jams Run Free' etc) and a final visit down memory lane with 'Schizophrenia'.
Going through the motions? I didn't think so from my vantage point, I thought it was well worth checking out. And yes, they did attempt to recreate 'Providence'!

No comments:

Post a Comment