• 0
GIG ACTION: Quack Quack and 65daysofstatic (not at the same time!)
Yes, two gigs in two nights, hard to believe I know! I was particularly looking forward to the return of Quack Quack (to the Pavilion, Belfast) and they didn't disappoint, in fact I think they were even better than their last visit here. Krautrock inspired music that makes you want to dance, and let's face it you can't really go wrong with two drummers. I also caught the end of Ruby Colley before them - solo violin and loops making it all seem like an experimental string quartet, very interesting.
A much more uncomfortable experience is the 65daysofstatic/ Tracer AMC show at the Speakeasy in QUB the next night. Instrumental post-rock doesn't always lend itself to free gigs with drinks promotions in a student's union, and tonight is bizarre - about 300-400 people always 3 deep at the bar and lots of bumping and pushing to annoy elderly chinstrokers like myself. When I was a student Thursday was folk night with mad drink promotions and you avoided it like he plague, I remembered why tonight!
I am happy though, to witness the best set I've seen from Tracer AMC in a while - the sound is great and they play some very strong material. I know there are lots of bands like this around but I honestly think that they are strong enough to compare favourably with their international peers now. Lots from 'Flux and Form' too which is great.
Everyone else I know leaves after this but I really want to see 65daysofstatic, and happily a large section of the crowd get into it. If you were near the front the venue actually seemed bearable for the first time tonight. Although I've only heard the first two albums I recognise a lot of the set, and it has more passion, more dynamics than the recordings. The best song of all is the one they announce as a new song they had never played before, it was astonishing and it actually makes me forgive them the one that sounds like Muse which they play soon after (!). 'Retreat Retreat' is saved for near the finale and is a fitting note to end on.

No comments:

Post a Comment