GIG REPORT: Quack Quack/ Clone Quartet/ Selah, Belfast Pavilion, 27th April 2006

  • 0

Apologies for the lack of activity on here lately, circumstances beyond my control I'm afraid! This is the first time I've been to anything worth blogging about since the Evens, although I guess I have heard a lot of new CDs so I could rustle up something about those. I'm so rusty I even forgot my camera tonight!
Although I arrive late, I'm still in time to see opening act Selah due to the gig running late also. Selah is the solo guitar project of Hornby of We Are Knives, in which he records and loops himself, playing point/ counterpoint against himself. I found it quite engaging, it developed from a Steve Reich/ Don Caballero reference point into a lot of interesting noise. Definitely worth a look.
Clone Quartet are certainly keeping busy of late, but tonight they suffer a poor sound mix which doesn't do them any favours. The gig last month with the Focus Group was much better.
Quack Quack are on so late it's a credit to the crowd for staying. They play on the floor not the stage and have a completely separate rig complete with 2 drumkits. Tbey also do their own mix so they don't suffer the problems CQ had earlier. Quack Quack are a 3-piece - essentially drums, keys and bass, and the keyboard player is also used an additional drummer. The musical references are obvious but great - there's a lot of Can in there, and all three members have contributed to the Damo Suzuki Network in the recent past, there's also hints of other krautrock, Stereolab, Add n to x, etc. The drumming in particular is outstanding and worth the price of admission alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment