• 1
BBC Radio 3 schedule change shocker
They have killed off Mixing It without a satisfactory explanation or farewell. Mark Russell's independent statement is here.

I used to be an avid night-time Radio 1 listener up until the point John Peel sadly passed away, and I was hanging in there for the occasional Rob Da Bank or Huw Stephens until I just got out of the habit since I became a parent.
I was very proud of the fact that I had managed to bypass the dad-friendly Radio 2 and graduate straight to Radio 3 with their wide range of evening shows from Andy Kershaw through Late Junction, and best of all Mixing it. Sadly and shockingly, in the new schedule changes Mixing It has gone, therefore decimating the public access to experimental music like. It was one of the first places I heard Fennesz, Jim O'Rourke and lately even more populist acts like PJ Harvey and the Fall have recorded exclusive sessions for it. I can only hope that something similar will be made available somewhere within the BBC structure, but I don't see anything yet. Otherwise it's just a matter of ignoring the output in favour of amateur podcasts and internet radio, which surely they should have been looking into competing with, rather than pitching themselves against Classic FM. Kershaw has hung in there but now moves to late late Mondays, and Late Junction has survived though it is still only once a week. The other evening output doesn't interest me in the slightest I'm afraid.

Read more similar opinions and complain here!

1 comment:

  1. hey jonathon,

    you're probably aware of this - but mixing it is back via resonancefm.com. wednesdays 11pm.
    hopefully they'll get some listen again or podcast action on the go soon.

    mark

    ReplyDelete