Peel Archive V and W (Marcos Valle and the Vaselines)

  • 0
Another set of records which are largely unknown to me dominate V.

I think the biggest surprise is the inclusion of the first three Van Halen albums. although after the inclusion on other shelves of the early work of other proponents of melodic American hard rock (Sammy Hagar, REO Speedwagon), I guess it isn't that surprising.

The only records I have here are the four Velvet Underground records, which most of us will know inside out, and Van Der Graaf Generator's The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other, which I bought on vinyl in a charity shop and I have never listened to.

Anyway, here are a couple of hugely influential acts from the V selection

Marcos Valle 'Wanda Vital' from The Essential Marcos Valle 2. A tune covered by Madlib that I bet Stereolab are also aware of.


The Vaselines - 'Monsterpussy' from their debut album Dum Dum. Naughty Glaswegians much loved by Kurt Cobain.


W fares even worse in terms of overalapping with my own collection. It is dominated by the work of the Wailers and their various projects (Bob Marley, Bunny Wailer, etc) and there is also a lot of Wah!, Wailing Souls and Loudon Wainwright III. Apart from a couple of the older Marley records (Burnin' and Live! if anyone is interested) I have none of the Ws and don't think there are many I would seek out to be honest, which is why W is merely a footnote on this V/W post.

No comments:

Post a Comment