• 0
What I'm Listening To: The Flaming Lips

Why was I listening to them today: I heard an evil rumour that some extra tickets had been released for their long sold-out Dublin shows at Vicar St (mid-Nov). Too late for tickets but I put on some old and new tunes by them.

What tracks did I listen to: My iTunes screwed up a while ago so I am gradually reloading material in from CD. I listened to the most recent album 'At War with the Mystics', which I actually like, bits of 'The Soft Bulletin', which is my fave from recent years, and the first few tracks from 'Hit to Death in the Future Head' from '92 which I had completely forgotten about. One advantage in recreating your entire library is that you stumble on material you put to the back of the pile. I still can't get to grips with 'Yoshimi' though, that Cat Stevens thing at the start annoys me, and I skipped a lot of the rest.

First encountered: John Peel Show very early 1991 - the track was 'Five Stop Mother Superior Rain'. I subsequently bought the vinyl LP of 'In a Priest Driven Ambulance' in the Rough Trade shop in March 1991. It's probably still my favourite of their records.

First live encounter: Reading Festival on the second stage, 1993, I'm pretty sure they only did four songs but memories are hazy. It was certainly quite early in the day. (I may actually have reviewed this in print, I will have a look.)

Best live encounter: City Slang Records 10th birthday concert at the Royal Festival Hall, London, they headlined and were fantastic. I reviewed it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment