• 0
Dylan and the Velvets dusted off
A couple of old, old tunes surprised me yesterday - Bob Dylan's 'Talkin new York' and the Velvet Underground's 'The Gift'. I think I was kinda charmed by the way a 43 year old Dylan tune can come out of digital radio (BBC 6Music was the station) and sound like the freshest thing all day. Coincidentally I flipped VU's 'White Light White Heat' into the CD player and out came another spoken story song - John Cale's 'The Gift'. Although I'd often thought this tune a bit overlong and the story a bit laboured, it hit the same spot as the Dylan song, charming me with it's effortless delivery. I wish I could hear something in the similar vein from a band around right now. I am in a bit of a John Cale phase at the moment, but I think I might be delving back into Dylan soon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment