John Peel's Record Box 33-35, Elmore James to the Freshmen

  • 1
John Peel's Record Box 33-35, Elmore James to the Freshmen

33. Elmore james - The Sky is Crying + Standing at the crossroads (FLASHBACK RECORDS)
Classic Delta blues which I'm sure a lot of people will recognise. There's a good Elmore James discography here. He was one of the most influential blues musicians and a contemporary of Robert Johnson, although he seems to have gone unrecorded until the early 1950s. Much covered and much respected.

34. TRACKS MISSING: Firemen - Old smokie + Louie's theme (LE CAM)
Another blank I'm afraid. Not even a year this time! Any help gratefully appreciated.

35. Freshmen - You never heard anything like it + Bombing run (RELEASE RECORDS) 1979
I have heard something like it, i just can't make up my mind whether it's Ian Dury, Sham 69 or Chas n Dave. The Freshmen were an Irish showband (!) trying their hand at Cockney punk and if you like the sound of that, it's on ebay at the moment. Personally I recommend that you avoid this at all costs, this is the worst one yet. It is strange how the blues and soul and experimental releases have held up well, but the pop/punk stuff hasn't. That's the common theme of the box so far for me.

1 comment:

  1. "Old Smokie" will be the "Peel's Big 45" in my August show for www.dandelionradio.com

    Cheers!

    Rocker

    ReplyDelete