John Peel's Record Box 24-28, cracks start to appear!

  • 0


24. Don Covay - It's better to have (and don't need) + Leave him (MERCURY) 1973
I always knew the A-side as a Northern Soul tune, a really catchy piece of gospel and soul, and again this is another one that I have from a Peel broadcast, probably mid-90s. Happily, this was a UK top 30 hit in 1974 and both sides of this are freely available on albums like these.

25. Don French - Lonely saturday night + Goldilocks (QUALITY) (LANCER) 1960 2x copies
Yet another one that John kept two copies of, this was used in the Channel 4 documentary about the box. You can hear a snatch of it at the excellent Oldies Museum, and the A-side is available on many compilations including this one. Where would we be without Ace records?!
The B-side is an energetic rockabilly tune, the lyrics of which haven't dated terribly well (!) but the A-side is a great melancholy trek into Roy Orbison territory, and actually not a million miles away from what Richard Hawley was doing on last year's 'Coles Corner'. A great vocal performance, and just the right amount of twangy guitar to satisfy me.

27. TRACKS MISSING: Dreamland Express - Groovy + u.f.o (EMI)
I've been searching for this for about three weeks, and I have drawn a complete blank, which is strange as this was on a big label. Google only offers lists of the Peel box tracks, or the best of John Denver! Any info greatfully received - I don't even know the year!

28. TRACK MISSING: Easy Teeth - Car noise + Her blade (DENTAL RECORDS) 1980
Well the only Easy Teeth I know is this one. Easy Teeth was the nickname for one of Beefheart's tour managers I think, though I don't think this has any other Beefheart connection other than the name.
I would've drawn a blank here except I found the B side on a compilation - frustratingly I can't remember which one! It's a reasonably intriguing slice of post-punk/ funk not unilke Caberet Voltaire and co. Again, I would like to hear more, and I would like to know more!

No comments:

Post a Comment